Forum de la Famille Flex

Pour partager votre passion pour le Flex.

Wind Alert

Meilleurs posteurs

Berber (1064)

Supersonic (638)

tintin (561)

Legros (377)

biker (368)

Tito (360)

houba (291)

flexgris (259)

Loulou (195)

Ko (193)

In Memoriam

Don MacCandlish
Voici un lien vers une petite bio de Don par Supersonic.
http://flexeux.1fr1.net/Don-MacCandkish-h1.htm

A Flex question from Un English guy.

Partagez

Scooterboy

A Flex question from Un English guy.

Message par Scooterboy le Ven 14 Mar 2008, 11:18

Bonjour;
    My french is not all that good, sorry about that. I should have paid more attention in school I guess.
    I bought one of Fafou's kites a few years ago, a pink 10-60. It works fabulous by the way. I also have a 5-30.
    My question is, can these kites be used for wakeboarding?
    Do they need a lot of wind?
    I noticed that the 10-60 has a place to install a pool noodle along the keel, so I'm assuming this is how the kite is made to float. If they can be used on the water, is there a particular way to launch from the water. Or is it the same sequence as launching from land?
    I would love to give wakeboarding a try this summer.
    Scooterboy
    Nova Scotia
    Berber
    Admin

Re: A Flex question from Un English guy.

Message par Berber le Ven 14 Mar 2008, 16:44

Hi there Scooterboy !

First,a good trick to learn french...A teacher,one day,said to one student who had difficulties with his English,he said<<Try to read out loud and/or don't translate in your head,instead try to think in English>>
    Ok enough with teaching:roll: Laughing

Of course you can use your ParaskiFlex in the water,land and of course snow,even if the wing wasn't designed for that purpose.Please,don't use a wakeboard 'cause of the stiffness of the board and the bindings.A Kiteboard will give more liberty of mouvement and the board is a bit lighter.

Of course with a 10/60(i'm 1m68(5'8'') and 83 Kg(+/- 175 lbs))
    and with a longboard(those for light winds),i need around 40 kmh(23 knts)
    and a little less wind with a 5/30.To take advantage(make it bigger) of your ''window of wind" you should always put on a 4.75m(+/- 15 feet) extension on your lines when riding during the summer,i mean in the water.

The way Fafou modified her wing was good at that time,nowadays we 're still using those round pool noodle but,we cut 15 cm (6'') long pieces and pass the joints on the leading edge into those pieces(easyer and faster) and there you are,ready to jump in the water.I can assure you that using the noodle pieces that way will make the wing easyer to lift off from the water.

The way we use to lift it from the water is quite simple,you put your Flex lines up zipper down,downwind from you,the wing should be at the far end of the powerzone(downwind ),pull on your plastic covered line 'till the wind picks up a bit of fabric and then jigg it back and forth so the wing get up in the air slowly.Of course when your Flex gets over your eye level your gonna feel a power stroke until it gets over your head and then,HA-AH !Twisted Evil
    On land or ice you start your wing at far side of the window...

One thing you can practice is your powerstroke,the lift your gonna need to step one the board.On dry land or snow,put the wing over your head and you know when you're with your skis and you need a bit of power to get pulled,you make your Flex go up and down and then you feel powerstrokes,well you'll need to do that while be over powered to step one the board.I wish i could offer you a course('cause i do give course even during the summer) but you're a bit far from here...it just came to me,practice if you can,on a snowbord at your local spot.It's very similar but again,overpowered:twisted:

Please do remember that it's better to try and practice where you have shallow waters,so you can easely touch the bottom.Never alone;)
    Life jacket:idea: extension lines:idea: ............................And the longer your board is,the less wind you're gonna need;)

To see if i'd like it in the water,i made my first boards out of wood and when i finaly founded out that i liked it,i passed them on and bought ones that fitted to my needs.

Here's a link for my boards,third pic is some of my first boards.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/berberflex/Planches (enlarge the pics)

It't cheaper to do them yourself if you can,+/- 40 $ each and time of course.

If you need tips on the how to,write back buddy !
    A lot of people ride ,around here, with their F series,so don't be scared and play safely.

Hop this helped you.

Read you later:twisted:

ps: when you'll try,,cause you'll try,send us news.

Scooterboy

A question from the English guy

Message par Scooterboy le Lun 17 Mar 2008, 17:19

Merci Beaucoup monsieur Berber pour ton reponder.
    Ahh this is good news! And your English is much better than my French believe me. But I'd like to learn French. I found I was picking it up easier when on vacation in France.
    Anyway; It looks like I am a much heavier fellow than you at about 195 lbs and 6' tall, so I would assume I would just need more wind to carry me, or a larger board. But it blows pretty hard here in Nova Scotia.
    When you say a long board, what are you considering as long? 5 feet? I
    s there a formula for pounds per square foot or something like that?
    Did you find that the curved edge was better than the straight edge?
    Sorry for all the questions, but it looks like you have experimented a bit and I would be very interested in making a couple for myself and my buddy Jeff. I would expect that 1/2" plywood with fiberglass on the bottom would do a nice job.
    When you mentioned about cutting the pool noodle into 6" pieces, does this go over the spar at the leading edge where the spar sleeves are located? If so I guess I can just tape them in place or use a zippy tie?
    I have extension lines so that is great.
    It sounds like the launch is pretty logical. Pull the leading edge from the water and let the kite fill with wind, then straight up overhead.
    We have some great practice beaches here. Kiting is becoming quite popular. And like you said Safety First; I would never go out alone or without a life jacket. So it sounds like fun.
    Where do you give your courses? Do you ever go to Shippigan? I might go for a drive there this summer to have a look.
    Thank you very much for the info you have provided me.
    I can't wait to give it a try. Just have to wait for the water to warm up. Il fait froid au jour d'hui.
    Kevin
    Berber
    Admin

Message par Berber le Lun 17 Mar 2008, 18:30

Believe me,learning French is allways easyer with a bottle of french wine:lol!: lol!

Anyway; It looks like I am a much heavier fellow than you at about 195 lbs and 6' tall, so I would assume I would just need more wind to carry me, or a larger board. But it blows pretty hard here in Nova Scotia.
    When you say a long board, what are you considering as long? 5 feet? I

R:OK,we have a slight diff. in weight and height:roll:
    You're right with the wind,but that's where the size of the board takes its importance!A long board,your first,just to learn without assles,about 6 feet long,1'6'' large in the middle and about a foot at the tips.

Did you find that the curved edge was better than the straight edge?

R: One thing you have to know is that,the fins are there to make sure that the board don't slip forward and the edges make the directions,so the straight edges will go deeper in the water(just the corner) and by adding weight on your back leg will make your board turn.Go on the LITWAVE web site and read the specs on the 179 and the tsunami 137 you'll understand a lot of things before you built.(about fins and how much,how large,how long and so and so...)If you decide to buy,at ParaskiFlex Luc Godbout sells them at a fair price;) ...very fair price:twisted:

Sorry for all the questions, but it looks like you have experimented a bit and I would be very interested in making a couple for myself and my buddy Jeff. I would expect that 1/2" plywood with fiberglass on the bottom would do a nice job.

R:HAAA!that's what i like to read!
    A couple,that means,a long and a short board,good !What i used was really simple...4 to 5 plies of 1/8 meranti,wood glue,not to expensive fins(again at Paraskiflex they almost give 'em),1/4'' stainless screws(so any footstraps will fit),and 1/4'' inserts and to finish it all hard wood varnish or some "tremclad" if you want more colors.
    remember that your homemade board will be a bit heavier than the factory ones and won't last a thousand years.Fiberglass will eventuly drink water...and it cracks,varnish take only a few minutes to repair scraches;)

When you mentioned about cutting the pool noodle into 6" pieces, does this go over the spar at the leading edge where the spar sleeves are located? If so I guess I can just tape them in place or use a zippy tie?

R:Most of the noodles have a hole in the center(the round ones).You just cut a 6'' piece of the noodle and when you unfold you wing,put a joint over the carbon rod,pass the joint in the middle of the noodle and then put the other carbon rod in the joint,that way you don't have shape or tie anything and the piece of noodle will stay in place and at the end of the day,when you're ready to fold your Paraskiflex,just take'em off and keep 'em in your bag.

Where do you give your courses? Do you ever go to Shippigan? I might go for a drive there this summer to have a look.

R:In Valleyfield,mostly.I went there a lot,i don't know if i'll be going down there this summer 'cause last year i went on North side of the St-laurent river and did the Gaspésie tour and founded a lot of nice spot for beachbuggy ,flat waters and nice waves,so i don't know yet.One thing for sure is that Tito the Administrator of our forum will be going to Shippagan this summer,when ?I don't know.But if you come around here,get in touch with me and it will be a pleasure to give you a course in the safest suroundings.

Here's a few links to crank you up Twisted Evil

http://picasaweb.google.ca/berberflex/Tadoussac

http://picasaweb.google.ca/berberflex/Petitoiseaux

http://picasaweb.google.ca/berberflex/Cnord2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g98y38fmyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo-suLAehSM

Only a few,there's way more where that comes from !

I'll take pictures of my home-made board to give you an idea...give me a few days...

It sounds like the launch is pretty logical. Pull the leading edge from the water and let the kite fill with wind, then straight up overhead.

R: that's right !

Sorry for all the questions

R:don't be,i prefer helping people then knowing that someone gets hurt 'cause he(or she) didn't have support or just the basics to have safe fun.
    Questions,keep 'em coming,'cause if i can't answer.................I'll learn something new:scratch: Wink cheers

Have fun:twisted:

Contenu sponsorisé

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Ven 22 Juin 2018, 20:48